<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 05, 2005

flatland 

“Flatter than a tabletop
Makes you wonder why they stopped here
Wagon must have lost a wheel or they lacked ambition one”
- James McMurtry
Over the holiday weekend The Wife and I loaded up The Boy and all the essential Boy Gear into our brand spankin' new Family Truckster and journeyed west, into the Flatlands to visit The Wife’s family in her hometown.

Some observations:

And I thought The Sprawl of my adolescence was a wasteland.

It has the look and feel of a suburb.

Except it sprawls in geometric order on the fringes of nothing but a vast and barren landscape. A more insulated border one could never hope to find.

Extending the metaphor that my family lives in the proudly beating blue heart of the reddest of states. . .

We have traveled into its red-blooded backbone.

Although it’s quite fascinating, it is a little frightening at the same time.

Prior to this weekend I could not say that I had shopped at a grocery store that had camoflage painted deer blinds on display and for sale in front of the store.

Prior to this weekend I could not say I had visited a community where this man was held in such high esteem. I even witnessed his catch phrase, "Git-R-Done", emblazoned in large letters across the back window of a pick-up truck.

People in these parts are fervent believers in the Holy Trinity of the “Three G’s”: God, Gridiron, and George W. Bush.

Not always in that order.

On Saturday the faithful were rewarded for their devotion.

UT won, OU and A&M both lost in big upsets. The Good Lord blessed His Servant Here On Earth, George W. Bush, with another opportunity to appoint a Good and Sensible Man to the Supreme Court who will thwart the efforts of Liberal Activist Judges to separate His People from Him.

Seriously.

I am most grateful to be home with my family and sleeping in my own bed tonight.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com