<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

happy retirement 

or "a tribute to a wonderful former boss"

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to a retirement reception for the Assistant Director of Special Education for the school district. He will be sorely missed. I first met him when he was Assistant Principal at The School I have worked at for the past 14 years.

Steve is a great guy, the kinda guy you'd take a bullet for without thinking twice about it.

Here's what I had to say for his retirement book:
Steve,

They tell me you’re retiring? Say it ain’t so.

You can’t retire. If you retire I will have to change my future career plans. I envision some future day (hopefully still a good 10 or 15 years away), when my body finally gives out on me, either through wrestling one too many times with one of those big rowdy kids with autism or through lifting one of the medically fragile ones. When that day sadly arrives, I planned on picking up the phone and calling you. You would of course have the answer and know just what to do, because you always have the answer and know just what to do. I would soon find myself sitting in a cubicle in the district’s administrative offices. From my little cubicle I would continue to proudly serve the needs of students with disabilities in a more administrative fashion, quite content to be working again directly under your inspirational guidance.

Again I say. . .

You can’t retire. The School is the magical wonderful place it is in large part to your leadership and vision of making a better world for kids. You will always be a part of The School, and The School will always be a part of you. Retiring from The School is like retiring from the Mob, and I think we both know there is only one way to do that.

You made a powerful impression on an idealistic young teacher and had a strong hand in crafting the experienced professional I have become. I cannot begin to fully express my gratitude for all that you have taught me during our years together at The School. But I can share one very concrete example of how you continue to influence my professional and personal life. I think it is quite safe to say that you are well known and loved for your ability to truly listen, your uncanny ability to find the right words, your interpersonal skill at making everyone feel heard and valued, and your gift at diplomacy. Whether I am at school or home, when I find myself in a potentially tense situation or moment of possible conflict, before I act or open my mouth I ask myself one simple little question: “What would Steve do?”

“What would Steve do?” This mantra has served me well many times in the past and will surely continue to do so in the future. I take a brief moment and try to visualize how you might act and what you might say and let this guide my own words and deeds. It is truly a gift I can never equal.

So thank you, thank you, thank you, Steve.

Most humbly and respectfully yours,

The Good Doctor Polymer Noyz


|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com