<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 06, 2009

yet again 

I mourn the loss of a friend. . .

Rebecca L. Craig

Death Notice

CRAIG, Rebecca L., 52, auditor, of Austin died Thursday. Survived by husband Steven. Visitation 5 p.m. Saturday, Cook-Walden/Capital Parks Funeral Home, Pflugerville.

Published in the Austin American-Statesman on 7/6/2009

She was the mother of a former student.

I first met the Craigs in the summer of '94. Their son was a student in my summer school class. His younger brother was in a class down the hall.

I worked with their eldest every year since, just in the summers at first, but then year around from Fall '99 until he graduated in what was it, 2004?

They are a truly remarkable family. Their two sons both shared the same undiagnosed syndrome causing significant physical and cognitive disabilities, leaving them nonverbal, mostly non-ambulatory and for the most part forever unable to individually meet their basic daily needs.

You couldn't tell it by looking at 'em.

The boys were both amazing. I have never seen such spirit, such enthusiasm, such zest for exploration and living.

Well it was easy to see where the boys got it.

Steve and Becky Craig are quite honestly the most amazing parents I have encountered thus far in my 17 year career. They bubble with positive energy and enthusiasm and are 110% balls-out committed to their two wonderful boys. At the same time, they possess a laid-back old-school Austin hippie vibe that at times seems almost zen. There wasn't a damn thing wrong with those boys, don't try to tell them otherwise. Anything you could do, they could do. They just did some things a little differently than most folks. This simply made them more unique and truly fascinating to be around.

They were and remain my role models for how to best parent a child with significant disabilities. They probably are not yet aware of this, but the Craigs persuaded me to take the plunge and try my hand as a parent. I saw the love they all shared for each other, I was blessed to be allowed a window into the world of an amazing family, awestruck and inspired by what I saw.

The moment came. I looked at the Not Yet Wife. I looked at the Not Yet Our Boy. The choice was clear.

And five years later here we are.

Sadly, this family has known grief before.

A few years back the youngest son suddenly got very ill and passed. Again I was awestruck and inspired by the strength of the family and the things that were said that day.

Sigh. . .

Here's to another fallen friend. . .

And to one helluv'an amazing mom.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com