<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 24, 2004

an unusual and most urgent request 

Over the weekend, my Iranian co-worker read my recent rant about her plight. This morning, she had a request. . .

"Will you please, write something for me?"

Basically, she wanted me to write what amounts to a brief press release that she can use to generate support to help her to stay in this country and to "save our lives" as she said with a very nervous smile.

No pressure.

She really liked all the "America: blah blah blah" rhetoric and requested a big heavy dose.

I told her, "sure, no problem. Anything I can do to help. I'll have it for you in the morning."

She said, "No. . . now."

Um, yeah. . . sure. . . no pressure.

So after spending the morning hiding at my desk pretending I am working on student progress reports and other important end of the school year paperwork I clicked "print" and handed her this:
_______________

My name is Tooran Pourkhani.

I am a single mother with two teenage children with significant mental and developmental disabilities. I am from Iran.

As a single mother, I successfully ran a small business to support myself and my children in a land where the United States State Department reports the laws “discriminate against women” and “social and legal constraints limited their professional opportunities.” (Country Reports on Human Rights Practices - Iran, 2003)

I spent nine days being beaten and tortured in prison following a customer’s allegations that I made disparaging remarks about the mullahs that govern Iran.

Fearing for my life and for the life of my children, I left Iran. The three of us made our way here, to the United States of America.

We came to America because America is a global symbol for freedom and for opportunity. In America, with purity of spirit and strength of effort you can make a better life for yourself and your family. That is the American Dream.

I work as a teaching assistant in a public school that serves the needs of students with significant physical and mental disabilities. I pay my taxes. I made a new home for my family. Because “it takes a village to raise a child,” I am part of and have the support of a community. Although it is a struggle, I am making a better life for my children and myself.

I am neither a terrorist nor a criminal. I am a hard-working single mom. I am living the American Dream.

Because I share a culture with a group of fanatics who have grossly distorted my religion to violence, the United States government wishes to deny my family that dream.

My application for asylum has been denied. My appeal was rejected without comment. We will be deported in less than 30 days.

President George Bush once commended “the determination and bravery of refugees fleeing tyranny in many parts of the world” while remembering “the terrible circumstances that drive people from their homelands in search of freedom and safety.” He reaffirmed that “America will always stand firm for the non-negotiable demands of human dignity. . .” (Statement by The President, White House Office of the Press Secretary, June 20, 2002)

I only ask that America live up to these expectations.

Patrick Henry proclaimed, “Give me liberty, or give me death.” I have the same request.

For my children with disabilities and for myself, deportation is a death sentence.

I have been taught that the government of America is “by the people and for the people”.

So now, I am appealing to the people of America for help.

I am not asking for a handout or for charity. I only request and desire the same opportunities afforded to every resident of this great nation and my new country: to live, to work, and to enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Thank you. I remain eternally grateful for any and all assistance and efforts on my behalf.
_______________

I handed it to her. She read it. She loved it.

Wow. I've never wanted a beer and a cigarette at work quite this badly before. Or to just curl up in a fetal position under my desk

I hope it helps, although I'm not optimistic. Thanks in part to some assistance from Cardinal Fang I've done a bit of research on the plight of immigrants from the Arab world in post 9/11 America.

It ain't pretty. In fact, it's quite repulsive and most definitely not very "American".

If nothing else, I hope my "press release" at least alerts a few people to the shenanigans of the current regime.

So my dear reader, please copy, paste, and print! Alert the media! Call your elected representatives!

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com