<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

sick kid update 

Diagnosis: ear infection in his right ear. Ouch. But relatively minor and easily treated.

I'm back at work next to the ticking autism bombs. There's one next to me now, sitting and feeding paper into a shredder. The different personalities from his undiagnosed psychiatric disorder are currently having a mostly unintelligible discussion. I've learned the hard way it's best not to interupt them.

Shredding paper because it is a functional vocational task. It is a real job that someone has to do. It is a way for him and his classmates to make a positive contribution to the world. The fields of education in general and special education in particular generate thousands upon thousands of pages of confidential documents. You can't just throw them in the trash or the recycle bin because of the confidential student information. My students can't read. So as a service, my class provides 100% guaranteed confidential document destruction.

And yes, my dear reader, I have tried like hell to jam my fingers as well as other body parts into the damn thing without success, so I am fairly confident with it's safety.

And no, you sick bastard, I have not tried that part, although once a student attempted it because he liked the vibration of the machine. We noticed and intervened. It's very difficult not to notice a 16 year old with autism attempting to mount a paper shredder. You would have had to really try not to look.

Can you imagine me making a call to the mom to tell her that her son is on his way to the ER because he got his Mr. Winky and/or The Twins caught in a paper shredder?

But I digress. . .

The Wife does not have class this morning so I left The Boy snuggled up in bed with his momma, all hopped up on antibiotics and Advil. The lucky bastard. I should still be in bed snuggled up next to his momma, all hopped up on sum'tin boy, I tell you what (or hoppin' up on sum'tin, nudge, nudge). . .

(Gotta go, the ticking of the bomb just got a whole lot LOUDER!)

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com