<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

sick kid 

Normally by this time of the morning I find myself next to the three ticking bombs that are my big rowdy students with way wacked out autism. As I have previously shared many an adventure with you, my dear reader, you know this to be true.

Always a challenge, usually entertaining, sometimes downright odd.

Today poses a new set of challenges.

Today I am playing Mr. Mom and staying home with a sick kid. The Wife has nursing school class, and I have accrued literally about 500 hours of sick leave in my tenure thus far as a teacher.

The Boy is sick. Really sick this time, not just a cold or allergy nonsense. Nor just labeled sick or actually made that way by doctors who don't know him and don't take the time to do so, and assume that because he is a child with significant disabilities he must have an illness.

Yeah, that really happens.

But this time is for real. Which is kinda weird, because it is the first time in almost a year he has been sick with anything more substantial than allergies or a cold.

The last time The Boy was actually sick it started the chain of events that lead to him being placed with us months sooner than we were planning.

Which was a good thing, and yes, almost one year in the past.

Back to the present.

I brought him home from school yesterday morning with labored breathing, almost like panting, and a fever.

Something's wrong. Not sure what.

This morning he is still running a fever, and he vomited, no easy feat with his nissen.

It's very frustrating. He hurts, or at least we think he does. He's obviously nauseous as is evident by the vomiting. When he is awake he is tense, has shallow rapid breathing, and he whines. When he falls asleep, he relaxes and his breathing returns to normal. That tells us something hurts.

Stomach bug? Allergy cold with excessive drainage into his stomach? What?

He cries, but he cannot tell us what is wrong. We are left playing medical detective, trying to guess symptoms all his symptoms from his behavior.

Did I mention it's very frustrating? My child hurts and I am powerless to help.

Off to the doctor soon.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com