<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

compliment 

I am quite pleased to report that thus far I have been fairly successful at sticking with my new routine. Not everyday, so fear not my dear reader. I have not suddenly and completely abandoned by beer loving hedonistic ways to become a fitness nazi. I just am trying to restore a certain sense of balance, three or four days a week.

And swimsuit season is nigh at hand. I have to look good in my Speedo.

(Joking. I just find it amusing to momentarily frighten you with the imagery.)

This afternoon while enjoying yet another of the myriad of reasons I absolutely love this town, a bicycle ride downtown and back via the neighborhoods and park trails, I unexpectedly hear someone shout my name.

I slow down and look over my shoulder. About a half-block back a blonde woman is waving and calling my name from the rolled down window of a large white SUV at the stop sign by the turn I just made.

"Who's that?" I silently ask myself, "I don't think I know anybody that drives a large white SUV." There is a vague familiarity to the voice that strikes a memory.

She turns the corner. As she drives closer I start going down lists in my head, "Is it. . , is it. . ?"

She pulls past and pulls over, my memory clicks simaltaneously as she shouts out, "Hi! It's . . . "

An old acquaintance, a one-time close friend of the ex-wife. I have not seen her in many, many years.

We talk for a few minutes, sharing pleasantries and briefly answering the "well, what have you been up to?" question. I tell her about The Wife, and pull a photo of The Boy from my wallet.

"Wow, really? Wow. He's beautiful. . . Wow. Great. . ."

She tells me about her married daughter and grandchild in Hawaii and of her dinner plans later with her other adult daughter I last remember seeing when she was around 12 years old.

"Has it been that long? Doesn't seem like it. . . Wow, that's great. Cool. Awesome."

The conversation lags and there is an awkward moment. You know what I mean, we've all been there.

She puts the car back in gear and says, "Well, I need to get going. I just wanted to say 'hi'. . . I thought that was you. I recognized your smile."

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com