<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 08, 2005

snow day 

No school today. It's a snow day.

Okay, not really a snow day, at least not in the traditional midwest real winter sense of the term I spent my childhood enjoying. It's more of an ice day.

I snugly sit in our little home, trapped in the middle of what one Lettermanishly sarcastic local talk show host has already dubbed "Blizzard 2005". All around the temperature continues to hover in the mid 20's, keeping the world covered with a lovely frosted glaze, like a giant Krispy Kreme. There's just enough ice outside to make travel slippery if not treacherous and convince some downtown administrator type to keep the school buses off the roads.

So, it's a snow day!

Yeah.

So I sit catching up on the news of the day and snickering at the poor local TV news reporters they make go stand on the frozen overpass to tell us that it's cold outside and there is ice on the ground. Thank the Lord for televsion, not like I could tell that by looking out the damn window. Apparently you can get frostbite in about 15 minutes when it's this cold. Really? Well whydon'cha come on over here, you hot lil' reporterette, I'll warm you up real good. . . meh how how how hmm. . .

Sorry, that was terribly inappropriate. The extra warmth from the Old Crow I've added to my morning coffee must be kicking in.

And well, maybe I do need the TV news to tell me not to go outside.

Last night, sometime after midnight as I sat exploring a new (for me) virtual world, I remembered an important task that need to be done in the real one. It's below freezing outside! Drip the faucets! Drip the faucets!

I took one step out the front door, onto the nicely functional even if not ADA compliant plywood wheelchair ramp we have for The Boy. . .

Um, hello McFly, sleet and freezing rain had been falling at a slow steady pace since sunset.

I went down faster than an old South Congress Avenue hooker.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com