<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

the perils of advocacy 

Sometimes it is really difficult to diplomatically be a strong advocate for your child.

Sometimes you just want to let all calm dignity and rationality fly out the window on the piercing volume of a scream and just wail on the focus of your anger, however possibly misguided. You just want to lash out at those whose behavior, both real and imagined (even with the best of intentions) threatens to harm your child or do him wrong.

Today is one of those days.

But I will not scream. I will take a deep breath and slowly exhale as I continue to smile and nod. I am in an awkward position. I am a teacher. My son, The Boy, is a student in another class at my school. There is a disagreement as to how to best meet his needs. That is the diplomatic way to express it.

Given the nature of The Boy this is about much more than subtraction or spelling or more traditional school needs. As you are well aware, my dear reader, The Boy has some significant medical issues. Our decisions and actions have potentially far-reaching and life-altering consequences.

I am finding that my role as coworker is inhibiting my ability to speak freely in my role as parent.

It fucking sucks.

What to do?

Smile. . . nod, fuck off.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com