<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 06, 2007

vacatium never endum 

Ah sweet Friday morning, shortly before noon.

I was rather rudely awoken about 7:30 this morning by what I perceive would have been a rather irate call from the plumber who replaced our water heater a couple months back. I say perceived because I did not answer the phone. Caller ID is a good thing. The Wife and I got up and promptly put a check in the mail and took about an hour to deal with the always unpleasant task that has been hanging over our heads all week like the dark clouds that drenched our ground: paying the rest of the monthly bills. There is never enough and it is always a juggling act. There is light at the end of the tunnel, for I have little doubt that soon The Wife will also be bringing home some bacon with her RN skills. I also might soon have the opportunity to name my price to part-time tutor what sounds like a very spoiled seven year old son of a frustrated millionaire with poor parenting skills. It is an intriguing idea and I should get info to contact this gentleman next week.

When that was done, the anxiety was gone and I felt an odd sense of relief. While the debt monkey is not off our back, he is at least held at bay for the next four weeks. The Wife went back to bed and I retired to the sofa to entertain myself with my newest gaming acquisition: GTA Vice City Stories on my newly purchased refurbished PS2. You just can't drop those things. Yes, I am very much a geek. It was an admitted unnecessary expense, but I justified and rationalized it by being on vacation this week (and next, yippie!) and as a way to vent my frustration at being unable to enjoy the above ground pool we bought The Boy for his birthday with his savings. Damn rain.

Today the skies are mostly clear, and while there is again rain in the forecast, I am optimistic that sunny days are almost here again. So for now, I am relaxing on the patio, enjoying a spiked Dr Pepper and getting caught up on the news of the day.

And yes, I am on vacation. The first true vacation in quite awhile. The past week has been busy with visiting family and friends and the Fourth of July, full of demands on my time. I got basically a long weekend off between the end of the school year and the start of the summer session. Only one day really, not counting the Memorial Day holiday. I found myself feeling slightly professionally burned-out, still loving my job, just not quite caring as much, needing a break.

I am in need of time to sit in silence and do nothing, to read (yes, I really am a geek), to write, to play guitar, to be with The Wife and The Boy, to just plain chill.

Which now I am happy to say I have.

Ah. . .

My wants are simple, my needs are few.

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine."

I think I'll go fix myself another drink.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com