<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, January 26, 2008

here's to mel 

In August of 1967 my father went to work for Lennox Industries.

Yesterday he stopped. He retired.

I'll pause for a moment, my dear reader, to allow you to do the math.

Yes, that's right. He worked for Lennox for 40 years.

Yesterday, The Wife and The Boy and I traveled northwards into the heart of The Sprawl for the official retirement bash at his office. There was a cake, some mixed nuts and a punch made with ginger ale. His boss for the past twelve years, a woman who can't be that much older than me, gave a brief speech extolling his virtues. She gave him a card and presented him with a plaque while congratulating him on his achievement. 40 years. My dad said a few words and cracked a few jokes. He said he was asked to prepare a speech. He spoke of the importance of having a strong beginning, a strong finish, and the requirement that in a good speech the two are close together. And then he said "let's eat".

And that's my dad, the one and only Mel. He's never been a man of many words. Even after 40 years.

As I looked around at the dozens, nay, hundred or so employees gathered in the crowed cafeteria in his office building I found a strange sense of pride welling up within me. Aside from his current coworkers, many others were there as well. There were previous retirees, lifelong family friends, people I have known as long as I have memory. My dad, in his typical self-deprecating style said that they all came for the cake or to slack off from their jobs for an hour or two.

But I saw something else.

As I mixed and mingled with those in attendance I was struck by one thing: the utmost respect and admiration with which they all held my father. They spoke to me with reverence about all they had learned from my dad, and about just what a great guy he is.

Yes.

Yes, my father is a great man.

While you will never read about him or his adventures in the pages of The New York Times or see his story on CNN, he is a great man none the less.

He diligently worked in the trenches, the offices, and cubicles of America for the same company for 40 years. All the while he continued to provide, love, and care for his family, leading more by example than by lecture.

And that is no small feat.

Next week, my father and mother will begin the next phase of their already 43 plus year journey together and begin to travel this land is your and our land in their 38 foot with three slide-outs RV motor home.

But before my folks travel proverbially off into the sunset, my dear reader, join me, raise your glass high, and share in my pride. . .

To my father, to my dad. . .

To Mel!

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com