<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

trying to stop a deportation update 

Today, my soon to be deported because she had the misfortune of being born on the other side of the planet and not ninety miles off the coast of Florida teaching assistant and I went public with her plight. I printed multiple copies of the "press release". We faxed a U.S. Senator and a Congressman. We faxed local major media outlets. We e-mailed Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and the other local media outlets that have elusive fax numbers but fancy websites.

I e-mailed the United Nations High Commission on Refugees. Twice.

I implore you to do the same.

It offends every fiber of my being that a government which claims to represent me and my interests will do this to my coworker. She's making continuing and ongoing good-faith efforts to jump through all their hoops. The bastards keep moving them with a taunt about "well, we just need you to do this" or "if you could only document this".

Fucking bureaucratic asscroft licking flag waving bastards. Like they're Lucy and she's Charlie Brown and the elusive football is the lives of herself and her children. We've all read the Sunday Funnies enough to know how it ends.

She is not currently all that impressed with the American government either.

Although, she has not yet completely lost faith. She still has a basic blind hope because the alternative is too horrid to fathom belief that the sooner rather than later the right bureaucrat with the right rubber stamp will read the right page in her file and make the right decision.

I'm not so optimistic.

Hmm. . . . a thought has just occurred to me, a goddamned "Eureka!" moment! Have I just gained a sliver of insight into what makes a "terrorist"? Perhaps I have. The American government has been dangling carrots and waving sticks in alternating forms in front of the various populations of the Arab and oil-rich world for at least, what. . . the last 50 or 60 years, or longer?

And yesterday I just paid over 2 bucks a gallon to fill up my lil' truck.

So, obviously that strategy is working. . . HAH!

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com