<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, January 13, 2006

non-duty day 

Today is a non-duty day. That means I don't have to work. So I'm not going to. So there. Na na na na nah nah. Yeah sure, my dear reader, I hear your whiny complaints, "But it's only Friday, it's not the weekend yet. I have to work. . . "

Well I don't. So there.

You see my dear reader, as a professional educator and molder of young minds I have a contract with the medium urban school district that is my employer. My contract states I work 220 days a school year (which if you are curious, runs from July 1 - June 30). A glitch in the school calendar would have required me to work 223 days this year. As my district is to cheap to even give its teachers a raise this year, they obviously do not wish to pay me for those three extra days. Stingy bastards. Therefore, I was told I have to take three days off before the end of June, three non-duty days. As I am required to take them, they are at my discretion. I chose to take one today.

I chose today because today is also The Wife's last day of her vacation. She starts her fourth and final semester of RN school next week. So we have one last day of vacation fun before the drudgery and daily grind of the springtime semester really kicks up and off.

I got up early this morning, got The Boy up and dressed. As it's The Wife's last day of vacation, I played the part of good husband and afforded her the luxury of sleeping in this morning. I took The Boy to school. I spent a few moments gloatily chatting with my coworkers and then my day of fun began. I am proud to say that I am about two weeks into a so far successful resolution to knock off those extra holiday pounds. I have just completed an hour at the gym. My new (to me, even if it is refurbished) ipod (no, not an ipod, a "bripod") provided the perfect soundtrack of AC/DC, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, and Slayer to get my heart pounding and body moving.

I am now rewarding my diligence by rocking out with The Replacements (I love the bripod) while enjoying a giant cup of hot coffee, a cold Lone Star, and a fresh pack of Camel Lights at my favorite neighborhood coffee shop.

So basically, so far, this has been a perfect day. Would that somehow, someday I have the opportunity to begin every day in such a fashion. But as that opportunity will most likely never materialize I will just enjoy this one.

Yeah yeah yeah, it may be somewhat contradictory for me to go straight from building my body up at the gym to tearing it back down with alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine, but I really don't give a fuck. Today is a non-duty day. I will not duty.

No sir, I will not.

Today's big plan? Hang out here till noon or so, enjoying the nothingness. Then home for a bit to play with The Boy and help pack his gear for an overnight trip home with The Nurse (and virtual aunt). She occassionally takes him home to visit her family. She has three boys of her own who totally love The Boy and play with him and crawl on him and run around him like all good wild young children do. He loves the excitement and he loves them. Plus, it provides a wonderful opportunity that The Wife and I cannot, he gets to interact and play with kids without disabilities.

Once The Boy is packed up and gone, The Wife and I have a date planned to spend the afternoon drinking strong margaritas and just generally hanging out enjoying each other's company.

From there? Who knows? A weekend that begins child free with strong margaritas has the potential to go almost anywhere.

Well, as Paul Westerberg sings, "I can't hardly wait."

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com