<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 23, 2006

tragic 

Lee Irl Bausman, 87, and his wife Laureen, 79, died on Friday, January 20, 2006.

Tragic.

They were killed in an automobile accident. Their car hit an ice patch while travelling home on a small rural highway on a cold and wintery Iowa day. Lee Irl lost control, and the car slipped and spun into oncoming traffic where it collided with another car.

Laureen was dead at the scene. Her death was a nearly instantaneous result of the crash. Lee Irl died a few hours later, at the emergency room of a local hospital. It is unknown at this time whether he retained any consciousness prior to his death.

Tragic.

In yet another example of life's bittersweet irony, the accident that claimed their lives occurred while Lee Irl was driving his wife home from a doctor's appointment, presumably with the intention of prolonging and extending life.

Tragic.

The couple had just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. May we all have the good fortune to love and be loved for so long. There is some comfort in the knowledge that one was spared the inevitable and uncurable heartache of having to live for sometime without the other.

That small comfort does little now to ease the grieving of their family. But perhaps with time. . .

Tragic.

Sad dramas such as this doubtlessly unfold by the thousands on a daily basis. The vast majority pass unnoticed by the masses of humanity. If we even hear such sad news we are seldom touched by it because there is rarely a connection to our lives. People are born, people live and love, people die. Living the mundane minutae of our daily affairs isolates and insulates us from the lives of others. This is frequently as true of ones we hold dear as it is of the nameless faces we sometimes notice as we pass on the street, or most typically see looking with despair into the television camera.

Tragic.

While I recognize this issue, I am just like the rest of us in my oblivious ignorance of the affairs of others. I am only aware of an accident occuring on an obscure country road a thousand miles away because this one does touch my life.

Laureen Bausman was the sister of my maternal grandmother.

My mother is devastated by the sudden loss of her beloved aunt and uncle. Aunt Laureen was a pillar that supported my mother when her parents died in the 1990's. She had become very much a maternal figure to my mother.

I feel the numbing fog of shock and sorrow. And I feel some guilt. I feel guilt at allowing time and distance to separate me from the extended family with whom I spent many if not most of my idyllic Iowa childhood weekends.

Tragic.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com