<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

t minus twelve 

hours and counting. . .

. . . until The Wife, The Boy and yours truly find ourselves somehow seated on a Southwest flight bound for Orlando. I say "somehow" because The Wife and I are still to some extent going back and forth on what to do about The Boy's seating situation on the plane.

I spent eight or so hours Sunday googling

(eech, please save us Word Nazi,"google" is a verb now isn't it? Or rather more accurately for the purposes of this sentence assuming I correctly remember my grammar from the diagramming sentences days of Mrs. McKenzie's 7th grade Advanced English class, a gerund.)

the most arcane and mundane of FAA websites searching for the exact rules and regulations regarding CRS (or Child Restraint Systems otherwise known to the less acronym and bureaucratically inclined as a "car seat") and all of The Boy's required medications, supplies, and equipment. We've got the rules and regs on our side, but we're still not sure if we want the hassle, both bureaucratically and physically of lugging a car seat around. All I can tell you for sure is that we are going to hit the airport tomorrow morning loaded for bear and better prepared and equipped than an infantry unit being deployed in Iraq. I've got about hundred or so printed pages covering everything you can imagine to back us up and will have the video camera at the ready if somebody dares to try to tell us "no".

"What's that? You say we can't bring this on the plane. My son has significant medical, physical, and cognitive disabilities and this is medically necessary to maintain his health, safety, and well-being. Surely you're not discriminating against a handicapped child? Well hold on just a sec. . . okay. Now please say it again nice and slow and this time try to smile as you look in the camera. We'll need the documentation for our attorney and you wanna look your best for the local TV news."

My personal goal for tomorrow is to make it through the day without being tazed and put on a no-fly list.

"Why?" I hear you asking yourself my dear reader.

Well lemme tell ya. . .

WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!

Yes, Disney World. For a one week all expenses paid stay at a Disney resort, complete with unlimited park access and even a meal plan for goodness sake.

This whole trip is courtesy of my recently retired father and mother. It was a Christmas gift. Along with the 38 foot fully loaded RV that is now their home, my parent's have dreamed, planned and schemed of one last big family vacation. They are taking themselves, us, my sister, her husband, and two kids for a final family "hurrah!" before they drive off into the sunset of their lives and spend their glorious golden days traversing this great nation.

There should be some tales of brave adventure, pics, and possibly video (if I can finally master the art of YouTube) in a week or so.

I need to go to bed but am feeling a little hyped and more than a little anxious.

So wish us well.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com