<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, September 18, 2008

just cut the shit 

Okay, okay, okay. . . so maybe my dear reader you are wondering what has happened to the Good Doctor Polymer Noyz.

Or not.

Maybe you are wondering what has happened to this little blog, that used to be filled with amusing anecdotes, wry observations, and heartwarming tales from my personal life. Maybe you are wondering while all I seem to do recently, and with a seeming greater infrequency, is rant and rave about that whole ugly "p" word: politics; and my indignant need to continue exposing and exploring the expanding injustice and hypocrisy of those who claim the right to rule us. The bastards.

Well lemme tell ya. . .

On the one hand it's due because of, or perhaps in spite of, I am a happily married man with a wonderful child with disabilities, who continues to amaze and astound as he grows increasingly larger: physically, emotionally, cognitively. After almost five years into my current version of life (which basically corresponds with the time this blog began) things have settled down into the quiet complacency of more or less domestic tranquility. Which is to say, on the home front there just isn't as much to rant about. Along with that comes a proportional decrease in time to share the stories as I am busy just living them.

However, when I look outside my window, as you doubtless do my dear reader, I see a world that seems to grow darker and uglier with each passing day.

And that just plain continues to piss me off.

So on to the subject of tonight's little rant.

You may have seen this story:

Dallas Mavericks' Josh Howard disrespects national anthem

My initial response?

So.

Is this really news?

It certainly isn't new.

Granted, I am writing this from my perspective as well, a white man, who grew up and continues to live with all the trappings and modern comforts of suburban society. But despite this upbringing I somehow escaped the myopic vision of many of my peers. I can see plainly that my world isn't the world, if you get my meaning.

Of late, I have spent many hours listening to the blues (thank you, pandora.com). The real blues. The old blues. Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, all the various "Blind" guys.

I came of age when the rap/hip-hop scene was doing so also. While I could not fully relate I could at least on some level understand and empathize with the disenfranchised sentiments of the artists of that era: Grandmaster Flash, KRS-One, NWA, and yes, the master Chuck D:
I got a letter from the government
The other day
I opened and read it
It said they were suckers
They wanted me for their army or whatever
Picture me given' a damn - I said never
Here is a land that never gave a damn
About a brother like me and myself
Because they never did
I fear I am somewhat digressing from the intended point of this rant.

What I find most shocking, surprising, and yes at times offensive to my sensibilities is the general mainstream reaction to such sentiments.

It matters not whether you are a ball player, a blues man, a rap artist, a politician who won't wear a fucking flag pin, or his former preacher. . .

The response is always the same:

Great umbrage, faux outrage, and an over eagernesss to take offense.

And that's just plain fucking stupid.

And that's what bothers me.

Why is there never an attempt to ask a simple question: "Why do you feel that way?"

Why is there no recognition that some have legitimate grievances?

I fear that to to do so would begin a dialogue that is long, difficult, complicated, and can't be summed up in a 30 second TV spot with lots of American flags waving in the background.

Go America. We're number one.

Yeah, right.

Living in a dream is certainly easier than living one.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com