<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, October 16, 2004

ceaselessly into the past? 

One of my oldest and most dearest of friends, Cardinal Fang, recently posted excerpts from our personal correspondence. I am quite honored to be so extensively quoted, so I extend my gratitude. However, I must confess to a certain degree of ignorance.

While The Good Cardinal was reading the classics of literature I was sitting on a couch with a bong in one hand, a 40 of Mickey's in the other, watching Sabado Gigante.

Or more likely, I was busy devising new ways to steal and smuggle wine coolers out of the loading dock of the grocery store I worked at in high school in another vainglorious scheme to get a girl drunk enough to reach third base. Or was it second?

Whatever.

My props go out to Biggles for directing my attention to the source of the posting's title.

My dear friend Cardinal Fang refers to, what a Google search revealed is a quote from THE GREAT GATSBY, by F. Scott Fitzgerald:

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

What? Wow. . .

As I write this I frequently pause and glance over my shoulder at the television. VH1 Classic is on. I take no comfort in the fact that I am now older than the band members in all of the music videos I see from the bands I hold most dear. Pete is wrong, I don't hope that at all.

Over one decade and three lifetimes ago, I once fancied myself a bit of a writer.

[AN ASIDE: My dearest Fang, I beseech thee from the bowels of Christ, do you recall and/or still possess the tale of our protagonists happening upon and subsequently stealing a convertible Camaro from a South Texas County Fair that had a shoe box in the back seat containing President Kennedy's brain? Or something like that?]

The final sentence in the first chapter of my eternally unfinished Great American Novel, written during the reign of Bush the Elder, reads:

"As a small ship without rudder or keel is tossed about the great oceans, lives too, can progress without course or direction."

I did not consider the fact that currents sometimes carry you where they will, irregardless of your efforts to row, swim, or sail against them.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com