<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, October 31, 2004

paint it black 

As I start this it is slightly past 11:30 Halloween night.

I should be writing about The Boy and trick-or treating. I should be writing about his kick-ass Oompa Loompa costume The Wife and I made for him to wear.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I have no doubt that in the near future I will do just that. Right now, I'm in the freakin' mood to rant and to vent and that's really the whole freakin' reason behind starting this damn 'blog in the first place.

So please, my dear reader, indulge me.

This afternoon, I made a quick trip to the arts and crafts store to get a couple of last minute detail things for The Boy's costume.

When I was checking out, I noticed that they had some of those stupid annoying ribbon magnets right there by the register.

(Now please allow me to take you back a step and explain a thing or two.)

I think the whole concept behind wearing a ribbon to show "support" or "awareness" of anything basically amounts to a big pile of feel good crap.

You want to support the troops?

Send them fucking supplies. Take up a collection at the office to buy prepaid calling cards the troops can use to phone home. Write your fucking congressman a letter with your plan to win the peace and bring the boys back home. Do something, anything, REAL!

I'm fucking sure that the poor kid who enlisted for the college tuition loves the fact that you put a yellow magnetic ribbon on your Hummer to show your "support" when he's dodging sniper fire hoping not to run over a mine in his.

If you want to do something about a cause then do something about it.

Putting a ribbon on your bumber or lapel amounts to little more than egocentric vanity to show other people how "cool" or "compassionate" or "caring" or "patriotic" you are.

(Thank you. Now let's go back to the present)

Now, these magnetic ribbons at the arts and crafts store were available at the low, low price of $1.99.

I realize this smacks of hypocrisy, but how could I not buy one?

As soon as I got it home I unwrapped it from its packaging and spray-painted it black.

When I did this, The Wife expressed a concern that some SUV-driving woman with a yellow ribbon on her bumper might take offense at the black ribbon on mine. The Wife expressed a concern that some would think that I am mocking their yellow magnetic bumper ribbon with my black one.

True, quite true. On one level, yes, I am.

I am also praying that they find no reason to replace their yellow ribbon with one of black.

More later. I gotta get some sleep. . .

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com