<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 25, 2006

finally friday 

"It's finally Friday, I'm free again
I got my motor running for a wild weekend."

- George Jones
Okay then.

Or not.

Yes my dear reader, it is finally Friday, but neither you nor I expected it to begin such as this.

As I begin these words, it is around two fucking thirty five in the gahdanged morning, blast it.

Cripes man.

Slightly less than one hour ago, The Boy finally calmed down and fell soundly, peacefully asleep. His heart rate and respiration rate finally fell down into reasonable if not quite perfect levels. His blood oxygen levels have elevated and remain constant, again at reasonable if not quite perfect levels.

Slightly more than one hour from now, I am scheduled to gently turn him while he sleeps to prevent fluid from pooling in his lungs and cause a nasty case of pneumonia. I am also to administer three different medications through his g-button.

This poses something of a quandry.

The Boy is exhausted, just plain worn out from two days of battling a summer cold / sinus allergy thingy. He needs to sleep. Yeah, that's all this is, just let him rest, he'll be fine in the morning. Somewhat ironically, we have learned that he does not sleep deeply during these times. The slightest movement or sudden quiet noise is likely to wake him. He will be irritated, confused, tight as an angry fist, and just plain on the edge of a bad freakout. It happens from time to time.

On the other hand, maybe he's not just exhausted with a mild summer cold / sinus allergy thingy. Yeah sure, that's how it started. But maybe now, while he sleeps, within him bacteria and little nasty viral things begin to move in and party down. He needs the meds to prevent him from slipping any further.

So I am trying to determine which choice carries the least risk. It is not an easy decision.

And I have no doubt my dear reader you remember what can happen even if you guess correctly and make the right decisions. I have never known greater fear than how I felt on that day, staring powerless at the sheer terror of possibilities.

I ain't going back without one helluva fight.

So, what to do? What to do?
__________

Ah blast, I fear my decision has been made for me. I just heard The Boy wake up. It's gonna be a long night.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com