<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, June 04, 2004

i want (back) my mtv, maybe 

It's depressing enough that Music Television now seldom plays music videos. Everyone's known it for years. I'm over it. I've accepted that they are no longer a music station but a lifestyle station for the young, the fashionable, the fabulous looking, and the ultra hip. Basically the antithesis of me. And you needn't remind me that I am no longer a member of their main demographic so therefore their corporate masters don't give a rat's ass what I think.

And I haven't bought a Clearasil product in about 15 years.

My partners in decadence at the time and I had no idea that "Remote Control" was probably the beginning of the end of the "music" part of Music Television. We were to busy doing bong hits and drooling lustily over Kari Wuhrer.

Ah. . . memories. . .

But that was then and this is now and last night The Wife and I were up late chillin' on the couch watching country music videos because it was the only channel that was playing music videos and after you've had a drink or two sometimes you just wanna watch a music video. And thankfully, although it was a little hot in here because the air conditioner was repaired late in the day yesterday and hadn't quite caught up yet, we knew there was absolutely zero chance of seeing Nelly. Count your blessings where you find them.

Wow. The blatant manipulative attempt to sell more records through claims of patriotism and amazingly badly poetic tales of valour and soldiery that permeate the country music airwaves makes me wanna hurl.

The newest entry into this already saturated market of pablum and cheese is by John Michael Montgomery. He has a song called Letters from Home.

Calling it stupid, idiotic and just plain awful is a bit of an understatement.

It has apparently become the theme song for some nationwide movement to support the troops. Whoop de fucking hoo.

In the song, the protagonist takes his letter from home and "I fold it up and put it in my shirt, pick up my gun and get back to work"

"Pick up my gun and get back to work"!!!

Hmmm. . . What work do you do with a gun? Oh. . . I see. . . he's singing about shooting and killing people.

Wait a minute! A gun reference in a song! Where's the outrage! You can't sing about gun violence. Have we forgotten Columbine? Who's gonna protect the children! Where are the politicians preening and strutting their moral indignation in front of the cameras. Has Bill O'Reilly ranted about this yet?

Can you imagine the hue and cry that would emanate from the hypocritical self-serving pig-faced bastards that pass for the mainstream media and our nations great leaders if Eminem or 50 Cent were to sing "pick up my gun and go back to work"?

On the upside. . .

Hank Williams Jr. has a new song and video. He raises the very important and particularly pertinent and peaceful question in this time of war of "Why Can't We All Just Get A Longneck?"

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com