<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, November 24, 2007

relief 

The Boy is doing better, much better. We will still spend the next few days dealing with the last remnants of the pneumonia. He feels better. He has his smile back. He still is desatting in the early morning hours, but he let me sleep until about 6:30 before we heard the all too familiar alarm this morning and a simple shift in his position improved things.

I don't think The Boy will go to school next week, at least not the first few days. I'm not planning to go in on Monday either. The Boy has a follow up doctor's appointment that afternoon which will take some time and quite honestly I am seriously in need of a "mental health day".

This morning I find the cold rain actually quite refreshing and somewhat invigorating. I got up about an hour ago. I gave The Boy his morning meds, a bit of food and tucked him all snugly back in underneath the neon polyester quilt my grandmothers made for me thirty some years ago. Although those grandmothers have long since left this world, there is something very comforting in the continuity of family that represents. I told him it was early and to go back to sleep, but I don't think he will do so. I hear him giggling and laughing on the monitor as I type these words.

The Wife and I have slept more soundly than we have in the past couple weeks. We are still getting up every two hours throughout the night to check and turn The Boy, but now he is well enough so that it does not take both of us to handle it. We trade turns so that we each get at least four hours of uninterrupted sleep. The anxiety and fear of the darkness has past.

She still sleeps soundly. Before I got up I spent a few moments lying beside her, watching her as she slept. She is beautiful. As strange as this may sound, or possibly not, this ordeal has made her even more beautiful to me. In times of crisis you either bind closer together or you fall apart. We picked the first one. I am truly blessed to have found a partner in this life who balances and completes me so fully. I feel as though this has brought us even closer together. A week from now brings our seventh anniversary together. She is the only one who can scratch the seven year itch.

So yeah, I have to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time.

This is the long holiday weekend for it, but I would do so just the same if it were March or July, or whenever. I give much thanks, and these humble words glowing at you now upon your screen do little to convey the depth of my emotions. I thank you, my dear reader, for your calls and your emails and your comments. I thank you for your prayers, your wisdom, your support and your love.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com